• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mr.beachcomber

mr.beachcomber

ODR SCCA

• Contributors
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 08:50 AM

Come out and join us for our third event of the 2017 Solo Championship season.  Front gate opens at 7 AM EDT. Registration opens at 8:30 AM EDT and closes at 9:30 AM EDT. (Late registration from 9:30 AM EDT until the Drivers Meeting costs an extra $5.) Tech is open from 8:30-9:30 AM EDT. (Late Tech after 9:30 AM EDT costs an extra $5.) Mandatory drivers meeting at 10AM EST. FCO at 10:30 AM EST. Five (5) timed runs for $25 (SCCA members) or $35 (non-SCCA drivers).

Hope to see you there! For directions from your house to Pungo airfield's Princess Anne Road gate, use the following destination with your favorite mapware program: 1834 Princess Anne Road Virginia Beach, VA 23456.

Regional Solo Rules

ODR Sound Policy

Regional Solo Championship Information

Registration Is now open
and closes 12 noon Friday, June 2nd. (The closing time listed in the registration application is GMT, not local time!)

Entry List (See ODR website for information on how to obtain your own season long number.)

Preliminary Results

Course map (for a PDF copy, click here):

Pungo6-4-2017A_zpsrjabxhkr.jpg

#2 mr.beachcomber

mr.beachcomber

ODR SCCA

• Contributors
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:48 PM

Here's a link to the Preliminary results of today's event.  Congratulation to Brian Wells for setting FTD and to Steve Fehr for taking Top PAX.  If you see any errors or have any questions, please PM me prior to this coming Sunday when the results will become final and points added to the 2017 Solo Championship tally.  Takes to all that came out today especially those workers that filled in for some of our regulars.  Oh, BTW some kid named Logan Rush took 1st place in Novice.

Note:  Results updated to show that car #1 was moved to the novice class.

#3 GeoS72

GeoS72

1st Heat

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

Here's my video from Sunday's Event.  Special thanks goes out to the course workers who had to clean up the cone carnage.

Congratulation to Brian, Steve, and Logan!

Cheers,

George

#4 sjfehr

sjfehr

"Calculated Excuse"

• Contributors
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:26 PM

Thanks, George.  I think all of us overcooked Pungo Sweeper at least one run (or 5) though 8 cones was tops for the day, haha.  I even hosed it up on my best run.  Speaking of which:

#5 Bobby Smith

Bobby Smith

Hot Shoe

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:0

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

Steve, it looks like there were quite a few spots in that run in 1st gear. Is that correct? Are you manually shifting or just letting the car do it? 

PS nice run.

Edited by Bobby Smith, 07 June 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#6 sjfehr

sjfehr

"Calculated Excuse"

• Contributors
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

Only one downshift, Bobby, and that was just because I messed up the entry into Pungo sweeper.   I usually just let the car do the shifting; 95% of the time, it shifts at exactly the right spot I want it to, and does it so seamlessly I often don't even consciously notice.  Occasionally it will inhibit downshifting in a hard-driven decreasing radius turn and I have to manually down-shift on corner entry to make sure I exit in the right gear, but it's pretty rare.  The RPM on my videos is via OBDII and only updates at 1-2Hz which gives some odd readings.

I read a story a few years ago about how Walter Rohrl lapped the 'ring in indistinguishable times in a TurboS PDK selecting the gears himself or leaving it in auto.  If Walter Rohrl can't beat the computer, what chance do us mere morals have?