• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 projectr13b

projectr13b

1st Heat

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

I'm currently working on a new car (97 Civic EX, stock D16y8 motor) for this season and probably a few more seasons depending on how things go with it. Currently the car is stripped and I have no intention of putting interior back in it because it spent some time underwater during the last hurricane. Tar paper may or may not be out before the first event at Pungo. I'll still have 2 seats, seat belts and a dash. 

Everything else on the car is stock. It's mechanically sound, just stripped out. 

I'm curious what class having no interior will bump me into. I also would like to plug the glass moon roof to free up some head room. If there's a way for me to legally do this, I'd love suggestions because rules have been a bit confusing on whether it's legal or not through SCCA and how it should be done. Also, if that will change my class, That information will be helpful as it will be plugged sooner rather than later. I don't have any intention of swapping to a moon roofless chassis, so if there's no way for me to remove it, I'll figure out a way to deal with it for now.

I realize that having no interior in a stock car will probably bump me into a very undesirable class, but I don't plan on bring the car back to stock, so if I'm slower than others in my class, I'll just have to be slower for a while.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

#2 mr.beachcomber

mr.beachcomber

ODR SCCA

• Contributors
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:41 AM

A gutted interior places a car in the Prepared Class.  All Civics are grouped together in the E Prepared (EP) class.  The Prepared rules allow you to replace the glass in moon roof with alternate material (poly carbonate) so sealing it shouldn't be a problem if you use something heavier than say Lexan.  Since your vehicle isn't a convertible, you won't need a roll cage.

There are minimum weights for Prepared class cars, but since you essentially have a stock car with a stripped interior, you should be fine.

I may have missed something, so others may chime in with more specific information.  Have fun with your Civic, and remember what 3-time Formula One World Champion Sir Jackie Stewart said:  “It is not always possible to be the best, but it is always possible to improve your own performance".

• projectr13b likes this

#3 projectr13b

projectr13b

1st Heat

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

A gutted interior places a car in the Prepared Class.  All Civics are grouped together in the E Prepared (EP) class.  The Prepared rules allow you to replace the glass in moon roof with alternate material (poly carbonate) so sealing it shouldn't be a problem if you use something heavier than say Lexan.  Since your vehicle isn't a convertible, you won't need a roll cage.

There are minimum weights for Prepared class cars, but since you essentially have a stock car with a stripped interior, you should be fine.

I may have missed something, so others may chime in with more specific information.  Have fun with your Civic, and remember what 3-time Formula One World Champion Sir Jackie Stewart said:  “It is not always possible to be the best, but it is always possible to improve your own performance".

Thank you so much for the information. Roof will probably be plugged with aluminum but I'm still looking to the best ways to do it without paying $400+ for the kit I found online. I'll look more into the prepared rules. If things work out, I may have coilovers and some other replacement suspension components (stock equivalent) before the season starts, or early on in the season. The car is pretty rough to start with, and auto, but it should be fun to play around in. I also essentially inherited it to keep it from being crushed due to the flood damage, and who wants to turn down a free car?

And thanks for the advice. I essentially geneticsed my way out of my Miata by not easily fitting under a roll bar, even with a lower seat and other mods, so cheap, reliable and hard top was the way to go. 

#4 sjfehr

sjfehr

"Calculated Excuse"

• Contributors
  • 1,935 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

Yep, sounds like EP (full prep) is your class.  Or maybe XP if you get bored in a few years and swap out that D16y8 for an LS1.  ;)  Per 17.2.S, you can remove the moonroof and patch it however you'd like in Prepared, so plugging with aluminum should be fine.  Steve Carr recently welded in a steel plug on his 240Z which turned out really well and might inspire you to do similar- you can see the seams inside, but from outside it looks 100% OEM smooth.  There's a minimum weight in EP you'll need to ensure you build to as you continue prep; if you're a TSCC member, you can borrow the club scales, which you'd want to do anyway to corner-weight.  The rules get pretty complicated in Prepared so if you're concerned about competitiveness, definitely review the rules to ensure you don't accidentally do something that bumps you up to Mod.

I'm looking forward to seeing the car!