Photo

If you could magically solve 1 problem in your racing world, what would it be?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Matt Covert

Matt Covert

1st Heat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 05:19 PM

Hey everyone! My motorsport company is conducting some research into the autocross industry/culture. I'm a professional stunt driver in the Northeast and an autocrosser from Maine to DC, and I want to understand more about what autocrossers are going through. I feel like the best place to start is to poke your sore spots. 

1. If you could magically solve any one problem in your racing world, what would it be?

2. What are you currently doing to solve the problem, or what have you tried before?

3. Why hasn't that solved your problem?

Thanks in advance. -Matt Covert

#2 DavidC

DavidC

1st Heat

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:20 PM

Hey everyone! My motorsport company is conducting some research into the autocross industry/culture. I'm a professional stunt driver in the Northeast and an autocrosser from Maine to DC, and I want to understand more about what autocrossers are going through. I feel like the best place to start is to poke your sore spots. 

• If you could magically solve any one problem in your racing world, what would it be?

• What are you currently doing to solve the problem, or what have you tried before?

• Why hasn't that solved your problem?

Thanks in advance. -Matt Covert

1. Need to find the perfect car settings to allow for the most traction/"best" handling car at Lincoln Airpark for the SCCA Solo Nationals.

2. I attended the Spring Nationals and tested two different tires brands and a few rear bar settings. Probably close to 50 runs, some in the wet during competition, and quite a bit on the test & tune track.

3. This has not solved my spring/bar problem because I did not plan far enough ahead to expect to change my spring rates again, which I am doing in the next week, and have been doing for the last season and a half.

The real issue, not enough seat time & not enough test and tune days.
Most local clubs only offer one test day each year and that only gives time for about 20 runs if you don't change too much on the car.

I have relied on a brute force approach, traveling to the National events within driving distance and hitting as many test days as I can. And trying to also attend one local event each month. The travel can be brutal, and the payoff, in driving time, is relatively small.

In order to be competitive at the National level, you need experience on National sized lots and surfaces. It can take years to get this experience.

As a fellow autocrosser, I'm sure you understand where I am coming from.

Dave
2004 S2000 STR # 55

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 Gauntlet85

Gauntlet85

1st Heat

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

If you could magically solve any one problem in your racing world, what would it be? Make the sport more affordable.