• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Autox

Autox

4th Heat

• Contributors
  • 866 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

As we all know, getting access to good venues for our sport is getting harder and harder. In hopes of making it easier in the future when we approach new venues and to protect the venue we have now, TSCC will begin implementing Sound Regulations as of January 1st, 2013. This gives our members and competitors an entire season to get used to the idea and perhaps do something about it.

So, TSCC will adopt the Sound Regulations as published in SCCA Annual Solo Rule Book, effective January 1st, 2013. TSCC will adopt a 100 db limit as our standard unless sites require a different level. For the 2012 season, the club will measure and NOTIFY competitors only. No penalties will be assessed for people +/- 3 DB as listed in the SCCA Rules. Also, the club reserves the right to stop any competitor whom is deemed as excessively loud and require them to reduce the noise or stop competition at any time during 2012 or beyond.

In the event that during the 2012 season we aquire a site which requires sound enforcement the TSCC Board will notify the membership either 30 days prior to the event or upon learning of the requirement.

In 2013 the SCCA Rules will take affect and penalties will be imposed as discussed in the SCCA Manual with the following amendments:
  • In the event that a vehicle comes into compliance but then exceeds the limit on a subsequent run, the standard remediation options will be applied. In the event the vehicle does not come back into compliance before the end of the event then all runs after the compliant runs will be scored as DNF.
  • Only one sound measurement station will be used.
  • The club will distribute the responsibilities as appropriate during events with VPs of Competition and President assuming the roles of Event Chair as available.

APPENDIX I - SOUND MEASUREMENT PROCEDURES

The provisions of this section are recommended, but not presently required.
The specific DB levels (values of “XX”) are expected to be assigned by Regions according to the needs of their sites.

The competitor shall carry sole responsibility for ensuring their vehicle complies with these Sound Control Standards and Procedures. Vehicle sound emission is not a constant factor that can be trimmed to barely legal (in the manner of engine displacement or vehicle weight.) Sound emissions may vary significantly from morning to afternoon, and day to day, so the competitor is advised to target any vehicle sound emission level “adjustments” to well under the limit, to allow for variations in conditions. The intent of the following rules is to truly make our events quieter by limiting the sound level produced by individual vehicles. Competitors are expected to use mufflers as the primary method for sound reduction. Sound measuring stations will be on both sides of vehicles to ensure sound output levels are below limits.

STANDARD
Maximum limit of (XX) dB, A weighted, at the measuring point.

MEASUREMENT
The measuring point will be established during course set up, and approved by the event chair. The course map shall be provided to the chief of sound two days before the event. When possible, measurements will be taken at all event sites to provide information for competitors. Measurement will be taken at a point on course where the car can reasonably be expected to be at full throttle, under load, and at high RPM.
The measuring point will be 50 ft from the edge of the course lane, using a coned gate as a reference. More than one measuring point may be established.

SOUND STATION(S)
A Sound Station will be established at the measuring point(s) on the course. At a minimum, an ANSI Type 2 sound with a digital readout will be used.

The microphone will be mounted on a tripod, 3 to 4 feet above ground level.

The microphone will be positioned perpendicular to the vehicle’s direction of travel.

The meter will be set to “A” weighting, “Slow” Response.
When possible and practical, the Sound Station(s) will be as far away as practical from inhabited buildings. The Sound Station Operator will record the Heat #, Run #, Car # and Class and Sound Reading on a Log developed for that purpose.

Appendix I - Sound Measurement Procedures — 281
Sound Logs will be posted on site after each run group, and on the web
following the event. Sound Logs will be maintained for one year.
Every car will be measured on every run. The Sound Station Operator and the Grid Sound Control worker will be equipped with a radio on the same channel as the Corners, Grid and Control.
One or more (as required) of the “downstream” corner stations will be equipped with a black flag and dedicated flagger.
The Sound Control Grid worker will be equipped with a clip board and notepad to record the car number of violators announced by the sound operator, for his reference when the car returns to Grid.

VIOLATIONS
When a vehicle exceeds (XX – 3) dBA, the sound operator will inform the grid sound control worker. When a vehicle exceeds (XX + 3) dBA, the sound operator will announce over the radio, “sound flag, sound flag,” then state the car number and class, and the measured reading. The Grid Sound Control Worker will record the car number and sound reading. The corner station(s) with the black flag will display it when called by Sound Control, so it can be seen by the driver, signifying to the driver that his vehicle has exceeded the (XX + 3) dBA secondary limit. The driver must immediately come off the throttle and continue through the course, without either stopping or driving at a competition pace. Any run (XX) dBA or over will be scored a DNF. The driver will be notified of any measurement over (XX – 3) dBA.

When a car in violation ((XX) dBA or over) returns to grid, the Grid Sound Control worker will notify the driver of the car’s measured sound level. The driver will be given the opportunity for a “mechanical delay” to attempt to reduce the vehicle’s sound level. If, in the judgment of the Grid Sound Control worker, the driver has attempted a viable remedy, he will authorize a “second chance run”. If the driver(s) declines any “repair” action, or the “repair” is deemed inadequate or inappropriate by the Grid Sound Control Worker, the driver(s) will forfeit all subsequent runs in that vehicle. The Grid Sound Control Worker may offer advice to competitors. This advice, however, shall be in no manner be construed to imply that said suggested corrective action(s) absolves the competitor from complying. If the vehicle exceeds either limit on the “second” chance run, the vehicle may be given one “final chance” run if the vehicle meets all the requirements of the previous paragraph(second chance run).

#2 mr.beachcomber

mr.beachcomber

ODR SCCA

• Contributors
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Just so you know, Pungo airfield is within the 65dB noise level zone established by NAS Oceana and basically approved by the City of Virginia Beach. ODR has had some problems in the past with Virginia Beach police coming out to the events over noise complaints (right Bobby??!). BTW, the drifting events at Pungo were canceled due to noise complaints from the local subdivisions up the road. :unsure: Currently, ODR's limit on noise is 1 JSN (one Jason ~ 65 dB on muffled exhaust). :seeya:

#3 Dave Cutchins

Dave Cutchins

3rd Heat

• Contributors
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

If the club has a DB meter, it may be helpful to set it up as an information tool this season. It would help and give competitors time to decide on the best way to lower the sound level of their cars.

#4 Driverdog

Driverdog

Living in "The Cone Age"

• Contributors
  • 1,435 posts
  • Interests:Currently autocross

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

100 db sounds generous. Some clubs have less db levels. Getting the db "right" is the big topic in trying to keep sites and get new sites to autocross.

first link has a club who's got a 90db limit and the second one is 96db

http://www.fcscc.com/2011rules.htm

http://www.autocross...?showtopic=8539

Grass roots hints that SCCA will bring 100db down to lower level as they get better with monitoring

http://grassrootsmot...icles/sounding/

Seems this is sweeping the country.

#5 mr.beachcomber

mr.beachcomber

ODR SCCA

• Contributors
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:35 AM

I agree with Dave in first monitoring the actual dB levels produced during an event prior to setting an arbitrary ceiling. I know that the club used to have an old Radio Shack dB meter that we used to play with. ODR's previous problem out at Pungo was simply that we didn't have an accurate measurement of the sound levels we were producing hence the 1 Jason level (you couldn't be louder than Jason's BP Corvette with muffled exhaust). On several occasions we had to tell competitors that they couldn't compete at our future events unless exhaust suppression (mufflers were added) - an RX-7 comes to mind as being way above the 1 Jason level. If the Virginia Beach police in Creeds do receive a noise complaint, they will come out to the airfield and based solely upon their judgment, tell you which cars are allowed to run and which ones are too loud. Having some type of data points as to the actual measured sound levels would be a boon if this happens.

#6 Slantnose

Slantnose

contributing member

• Contributors
  • 942 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

Hi, I've got a db meter if needed... ...the BP Corvette from here will continue to run factory muflers :)

#7 tnd2

tnd2

4th Heat

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Auto X, motorcycling, most any motorsports, hiking, kayaking, photography,...

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

The plan is that TSCC will have a sound meter onsite this Saturday during the Test N Tune as a learning experience for all involved. Starting at this Sundays event we will have a sound monitoring station as a work assignment with data sheets so competitors can see how their car is doing. This year is all about learning, adapting, and easing into the world of quieter motorsports to help keep our image friendly to the non-automotive crowd.

#8 Dave Cutchins

Dave Cutchins

3rd Heat

• Contributors
  • 341 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

........... This year is all about learning, adapting, and easing into the world of quieter motorsports to help keep our image friendly to the non-automotive crowd.

If environmentalists eventually have their way, all cars will have no emissions and no sound.

The sound of power makes motorsports what it is.

I once had an 8 track tape called "Big Sounds of the Drags" recorded at a national NHRA event - nothing but funny car and AA fuel cars with no human voice.

Hmmm - maybe those people with the expensive sound systems with huge speakers and amplifiers in their "rice rockets" know something we don't know.

#9 sjfehr

sjfehr

"Calculated Excuse"

• Contributors
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

Just so you know, Pungo airfield is within the 65dB noise level zone established by NAS Oceana and basically approved by the City of Virginia Beach. ODR has had some problems in the past with Virginia Beach police coming out to the events over noise complaints (right Bobby??!). BTW, the drifting events at Pungo were canceled due to noise complaints from the local subdivisions up the road. :unsure:

Currently, ODR's limit on noise is 1 JSN (one Jason ~ 65 dB on muffled exhaust). :seeya:

The VA Beach ordinance requires the sound be no louder than 65dB during the day and 55dB at night when measured inside a residence with all doors and windows shut. SCCA's measurements take place 50' from the course. At Pungo, we have a lot of trees and distance to attenuate the sound before it reaches any home.

For reference, Lawnmowers put out somewhere around 90dB, but are specifically exempted from compliance. Rock concerts are frequently as high as 120dB (and have left my ears ringing for up to 3 days after some shows!), and are also specifically exempted.

VA Beach requires most passenger vehicles not exceed 82dB at 100' on public streets.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer. Here's the code online:
http://library.munic...tename=Virginia

Edited by sjfehr, 16 March 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#10 tnd2

tnd2

4th Heat

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • Interests:Auto X, motorcycling, most any motorsports, hiking, kayaking, photography,...

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

The following info is from the TSCC Pungo April 15th Event: I looked over the info for our runs and found more consistency than I expected: Angela ran in heat 1: 105.2, 104.7, 106.3, 105.5 I ran in heat 3: 104.5, 104.4, 104.5, 103.9 In case you don't know us we both run the same Mini. Averaging won't work since we have to make a decision on the spot as the event is being run next season, and is based off the competitors current reading as to if the run will count and/or if repairs/mods will be necessary for them to make before the next run. Yes, we are in need of some changes to quieten the Mini, and hopefully a Supertrapp and some Dyno time will pick up some lost torque...

#11 Autox

Autox

4th Heat

• Contributors
  • 866 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

**Reposted from the event thread** At the march event we found a couple of factors that effect the readings. Since the cars looped past the sensor twice and the workers recorded it both times. On the second loop the car was moving away instead of parallel so those with pipes sticking straight out the back we louder on the moving away pass where as side pipes were louder going straight by. Also, I had tried to avoid putting the meter by the block building to avoid reverberation or echo from them. Having it out near the open section provides a more 'competitor friendly' reading environment I think. I believe Peter is still working on setting up our meter so that the microphone is away from the person using it both for safety and so that the worker doesn't inadvertently make noise that could affect the reading. As for Bobby's variablilty, I honestly think it a result of the proximity to the buildings. The first run is usually the least aggressive so picking up sound on the subsequent runs is to be expected but the size of the jump is curious. I know the new exhaust on the vette at around 3000 rpm has a really loud drone inside the car. Perhaps a combination of a highly resonant RPM and the building conspired against us. As mentioned, it is difficult to find a suitable place to put it at Pungo due to the size of the site. 'Inside' the track is usually the safest but then you get sound readings conflicting because two cars might be running at the same time. As to Jim's comment regarding muffler vs no muffler, I can attest with hard data to prove it. When we put the SuperTrapp on the Celica everyone told us to run 13 plates in it. (For those not familiar, SuperTrapp makes mufflers that have plates on the end so you can add or remove as needed to tune it) We did two hours on a dyno. We started at 12 plates and remove two plates at a time down to just two plates. Then we put 5 plates in and went up two at a time to 11. The last run was just a pull through all the gears so I could see the hp and torque for the best shift points. With the stock muffler on the car we had 120hp at the wheels. With 11 plates on, we had 125 at the wheels. With 12 plates, we had 110! That's 15hp AT THE WHEELS drop with just one little plate. Keep in mind that more plates equals a higher flowing exhaust. It was also interesting to see that as the number of plates went down we lost peak hp and torque but the average torque went up. At 11 plates our average was in the mid-90's. At 7 plates our AVERAGE was over 100. The peak was lower but the torque came on faster at lower RPMs. We used this to tune the car for various venues. At Pungo we ran 7 plates. At VMP, ACU4 and national events we used 11. I know lots of people who have not tested the impact of adding/removing parts on their car and it can be a serious mistake. If we had followed everyones advice we would have been hampered 10hp! Not something you want on a car with only 140hp total anyway. When we replaced the exhaust on the vette I didn't have a chance to dyno immediately before and immediately after but I had dyno'ed it a couple of years ago and then recently after changing the mufflers. It gained 7hp & ~10lbs of torque from the previous measurement. So I know I didn't hurt anything.

#12 evadsti

evadsti

1st Heat

• Members
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:Sports Cars<br />All types of motor racing<br />Snow Skiing

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

One thing to keep in mind when trying to reduce your sound level is where your exhause exits the vehicle. Back when this subject was first being kicked around, and when SCCA was putting sound limits on road racing, I looked at the exhause on my MG. Instead of running it out the side, exiting just before the rear wheels, I ended the exhaust under the car, between the rear wheels. This made the rear wheels and the underbody of the car act as my muffler. This is not as possible or practical for a stock or street type of car, but modified cars should look into how your exhaust is routed to see if a "natural" muffler is possible.

#13 Stealth TDI

Stealth TDI

Mosquito Control Racing

• Contributors
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:VWs, Diesels, Bicycling, Reptiles, AutoX...

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Route it into the trunk. That'll muffle the noise! ;)

#14 sjfehr

sjfehr

"Calculated Excuse"

• Contributors
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

Route it into the trunk. That'll muffle the noise! ;)

But would it contain the smoke?

#15 sriner

sriner

1st Heat

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

One thing that is being overlooked here is the frequency weighting. The SCCA rules says A-weighting. That 65dB noise level for Pungo Airfield is that raw dB or weighted? A-weighting adjusts the sound level to better suit what our ears can hear. Currently the sound meter being used is measuring using C-weighting which is a much flatter curve. There is no way to convert from dBC to dBA. But at lower frequencies, where automotive exhausts are, A-weighting reduces the sound level much more than C-weighting, see graph. Therefore, some of the cars that seem to be over the limit currently may actually be legal.

Posted Image

I did not see anything in the SCCA rules about sound level vs exhaust type (rear exit, side, dumps, etc.). So with having the meter perpendicular to the travel path, which is the best way to measure, gives a disadvantage to cars running side exhaust (ie classic corvettes and ac cobra)

#16 Autox

Autox

4th Heat

• Contributors
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

Peter Florance did the research on the meter for us and set it up. It should be weighting based on what the SCCA rules indicate. @Peter: Can you shed some light on this?

#17 tnd2

tnd2

4th Heat

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Currently our meter is set to C weighting, I believe it was on A weighting previously, but I could not find a way to change settings Sunday(there's only 2 buttons so it's not very intuitive) at the point it was noted to be on C it was well into Heat 2 so it was left(I gave up) on C and at least the event should have been consistently rated improperly. I believe it was on the same scale the whole event since Angela ran heat 1 and I ran in heat 3, same car both heats, and the readings were within 1-2 db between us. I'll pull the meter out and google for instructions, unless you have them Peter. Yet another great reason this is a learning year.

#18 sjfehr

sjfehr

"Calculated Excuse"

• Contributors
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

Pretty sure bosozoku-style exhausts are legal in every SCCA class :)

Posted Image

Edited by sjfehr, 19 June 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#19 Autox

Autox

4th Heat

• Contributors
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

Pretty sure bosozoku-styke exhausts are legal in every SCCA class :)

Using the word "class" in the same sentence as that style exhaust should be illegal anywhere. Note to self: Item to bring to the board for a vote

#20 sriner

sriner

1st Heat

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Luckily this is a learning year. My main concern is that the results are being posted. Someone might end up buying a whole new exhaust system just to find out that they weren't actually illegal.

#21 Autox

Autox

4th Heat

• Contributors
  • 866 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

Luckily this is a learning year. My main concern is that the results are being posted. Someone might end up buying a whole new exhaust system just to find out that they weren't actually illegal.

I believe the results have been shared after each event. The current event readings are in the event thread.

#22 Bobby Smith

Bobby Smith

Hot Shoe

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:0

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

quote "the event should have been consistently rated improperly." Huh?

#23 Autox

Autox

4th Heat

• Contributors
  • 866 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

quote "the event should have been consistently rated improperly."

Huh?

Since our meter was set to C instead of A weighting the readings were done improperly but were done improperly for everyone throughout the day. So it was consistent but improper. It wasn't that the first heat was measured at C and second heat at A.

#24 Bobby Smith

Bobby Smith

Hot Shoe

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:0

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:59 AM

Any sound level results from July event?

#25 Autox

Autox

4th Heat

• Contributors
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Brian has been out of the office this week so I haven't been able to get the sheets he has and the others are in the trailer apparently. Neal is out of town this weekend so i don't know if I will be able to get them out.