Do's and Don'ts before Tech Inspection

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:49 PM

I've been doing tech inspections at events since the SEDIV SCCA SOLO-II event back in the fall. I really enjoy it as it is a great way to meet most of the drivers quickly. However, I see some of the same issues over and over, so I though I'd post this list of do's and don'ts to help everyone out. Here goes. Do - remember to check your wheel bearings, battery tie down, throttle cable spring, and brake fluid before leaving your home. Chances are you can't fix these in time to race if you get flagged for them during tech. :doh: Don't - Get into the tech inspection line before you've registered and have your tech sheet in hand. Even if it LOOKS like you have time to run to registration, that's the excuse everyone who's held up the tech line says when they finally return to the car. :boohoo: If you are a repeat offender, don't be suprised one day if I've pushed your car into the weeds to let others through. :blink: Do - empty out everything movable from your car BEFORE you get in the tech line. This includes floormats, spare tire, jack & tools, coolers, chairs, tents, underware, and marital aids (yep, seen'em! :whip: ) The only exception is your helmet, which you should leave in the front passenger seat with the clubs annual inspection sticker in view. Don't - Ask the inspectors a bunch of car questions. While we like to talk about your car, and will ask questions and talk smack, but there are a lot of cars behind you and we all want time enough to walk the course before the Driver's Meeting. Do - know the class you will be running in before hand. If you are unsure, talk to one of the event coordinators before you tech, and they'll know or can look it up for you. I've spent a bunch of time thumbing through the classification section of the rulebook, while everyone waits around. If you don't know, I'll put you in SS. :deal: Don't - launch out of the tech area back to the paddock. I've never seen a flag man or timing lights in the tech area, so I don't know why people confuse this with the starting line. :sprint: Thanks for reading this, and I'll see you at the next event.

#2 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:43 PM

DON'T treat the cones in the tech lines like a slalom. i have to work on that one.

#3 Lt. Dan

Lt. Dan

1st Heat

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:0

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:57 AM

DO: have your numbers and class properly displayed on your vehicle. DON'T: Argue with the Tech boys. If they find something unsafe on your vehicle, do you really think that throwing a tantrum will make them change their minds? Dan

#4 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:48 AM

Wipe off excess tire dressing so the tech guys don't get that black goupe all over their hands checking the wheel bearings. :)

#5 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:07 AM

wheel bearings? where are those at? and how do I check them?

They are at the ends of your axle or half-shaft. You check them by grabbing the wheel or tire and pulling/pushing. If there is any play then they are loose. All kinds of problems can result if not fixed immediately.

http://www.supraforu...ing replacement

#6 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:00 PM

that is not always 100% true though. the first time i got teched after i put on new bearings and hubs, i still had a little shake problem. a very small one. so i went and retorqued down all the lug nuts and it almost went away. since that one occurence, i've never had the problem again. and it's been like a year.

#7 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:05 PM

If there is any play then they are loose

Agreeing with dave, that is not always true. Just check you're lugs and you'll most likely be cool in this aspect.
Also if you have higher profile tires, like I used to have on my Rx-7 (185/70r13 :) ) it will feel like the wheel bearings are loose because of the taller tire and unstiff sidewall. Since I've switched over to a lower profile tire, it doesn't do it anymore, even though it's the same wheel bearings.

#8 scca zx3

scca zx3

1st Heat

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 03:34 PM

thanx guys? Another question, during my tech inspection will they make me take the pillow that I sit on out of the car?Or not allow me to run the track with it? :oops:

#9 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:33 PM

Depends... Actually, as long as you stay in the seat and the pillow doesn't make it under the brake and/or the clutch pedal, it'll probably be OK. The key thing with the tech inspection is safety. When you pull into tech, talk to the inspector. On another safety note... When we check the wheels and mounting, for the most part we'll point out things that you may want to look at and/or take care of. If it is a question of excessively loose / noise / etc. generally we'll call over another inspector to validate / verify as to whether it is safe to drive. (pass/fail) If you register and get to tech early you may have time to correct any problem that may arise. (Like a competitor with a broken wheel stud who got the stud replaced and still made it back in time to compete)

#10 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:57 AM

If there is any play then they are loose

Agreeing with dave, that is not always true. Just check you're lugs and you'll most likely be cool in this aspect.
Also if you have higher profile tires, like I used to have on my Rx-7 (185/70r13 :) ) it will feel like the wheel bearings are loose because of the taller tire and unstiff sidewall. Since I've switched over to a lower profile tire, it doesn't do it anymore, even though it's the same wheel bearings.

LOL! My post was made with the presumption that all lug nuts are properly tightened. Someone showing up to an autoX or road race event w/ loose lug nuts should be made to sit and watch IMO. The first piece of equipment I think all racers should buy is a torque wrench.

#11 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:01 PM

I went to an event at Fentress and someone asked me if I had any extra lug bolts (BMW alloy wheel type) guy is missing 2. 'hmm must have forgot to torque them and lost them on the way over'. No extras, but I'll be happy to lend them a couple if he runs in a different heat. Nice kid; we got them torqued on with no sweat, Then he says something like "these bolts are hard to find; I've been looking all week for them...." :o

#12 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:38 AM

I went to an event at Fentress and someone asked me if I had any extra lug bolts (BMW alloy wheel type) guy is missing 2.  
'hmm must have forgot to torque them and lost them on the way over'.
No extras, but I'll be happy to lend them a couple if he runs in a different heat. Nice kid; we got them torqued on with no sweat,
Then he says  something like "these bolts are hard to find; I've been looking all week for them...."   :o

Now THAT is scary!! :shock:

#13 Autobahn Bred

Autobahn Bred

1st Heat

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:51 AM

Do - empty out everything movable from your car BEFORE you get in the tech line. This includes floormats

could you leave the floormat in if it locks in place?

#14 Jim Herley

Jim Herley

4th Heat

• Contributors
  • 724 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:21 AM

Nope. Take them out.

#15 eclricochet

eclricochet

Off course in record time

• Members
  • 1,081 posts
  • Interests:0

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:39 AM

Nope. Take them out.

Could he use his floor mats if we secured them with a nail gun? :noprisoners:

#16 Driverdog

Driverdog

Living in "The Cone Age"

• Contributors
  • 1,435 posts
  • Interests:Currently autocross

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:21 AM

Could he use his floor mats if we secured them with a nail gun? :noprisoners:

What are we trying to hide????

#17 04DaytonaZ

04DaytonaZ

Nissan Guy

• Contributors
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:16 PM

What are we trying to hide????

The hole is the floor of the car :leaving:

#18 Jim Herley

Jim Herley

4th Heat

• Contributors
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

Wipe off excess tire dressing so the tech guys don't get that black goupe all over their hands checking the wheel bearings. :)

Just a reminder for the next event / season. By the time we've teched the outside of your car (reference tire shine above) we still have to check your steering wheel for play, your seat to make sure it is secure and your seat belts. :yesnod: